Welcome!

We know you have questions about applications and the admissions process, but we know that you ALSO have questions about student life, which is why we're here. We're here to talk to you about what it's like to be a student at the University of Virginia. So feel free to ask us anything! WA-HOO-WA!

Elio, Meagan, Spencer, Stephanie, Emily, Tomeka, Cate (and our boss Ben is lying across us)

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Bonjour! Je m'appelle Tomeka!

What's going on everyone? My name is Tomeka and I am a rising 3rd year student here at UVa! I am in the College of Arts and Sciences studying Anthropology and African&African American Studies! I am from the 757, more specifically, Hampton, Virginia. I have met so many wonderful students during my first two years at the University and I am anxious to meet many more. I enjoy working with Charlottesville youth, so when I don't have my head buried in about 7 books, I am usually working with elementary or high school aged students! I have had several great experiences during my time here, and guess what??? I LOVE sharing them with people! So, please feel free to ask me any questions that you may have about student life, my major, Grounds, Charlottesville, or just my college search experience in general. Thanks for visiting our blog, and stay tuned for much more information regarding our perspective of UVa!

4 comments:

Mira said...

Hey there! I'm a rising first year from 757 too! :) VB to be more exact. I am very interested in taking anthropology 101. I just really want to hear from you what makes antro so great that you decided to major in it. Merci! :)

Tomeka said...

Hi! Thanks for visiting our blog! I would love to talk a little bit about anthropology! I have actually not taken 101, only because it is not a requirement for anth majors. This past spring, I took 2 anth courses, and these courses made me decide on my major. I took Anth 225L: Racism, Nationalism, and Multicularismn. This course was EXCELLENT and I would HIGHLY recommend taking it here at UVa! The professor attempts to deconstruct any traditional mindsets that Americans have about issues in society and makes you think about them for what they are. Many anthropologists believe that everything is cultural, not necessarily genetic. This course was AWESOME! I also took Anth 290: Cultural Politics of American Family Values. The course material was very engaging and I enjoyed the reading. If you have any further questions, just let me know!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Tomeka! When I saw your blog, I JUMPED because if I come to UVa (hopefully) I would LOVE to double-major in Anthropology & African-American Studies as well... As far as double-majoring goes, do you find you have a lot of course requirments to fulfill and probably won't have much room for other courses your interested in? I'm asking this because I would also need to fulfill my pre-dentistry requirements and maybe a class here and there that I might find enjoyable.

Thanks... and please email me the response at: thesaxophonist45@cox.net

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

With Admin permission, Get Student Loan and College Loan Information at http://studentloan.ebooktops.com for Free