Welcome!

We know you have questions about applications and the admissions process, but we know that you ALSO have questions about student life, which is why we're here. We're here to talk to you about what it's like to be a student at the University of Virginia. So feel free to ask us anything! WA-HOO-WA!

Elio, Meagan, Spencer, Stephanie, Emily, Tomeka, Cate (and our boss Ben is lying across us)

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Introducing... CATE!

Hey guys! My name is Cate, and I just finished my third year at the University. I'm not ready to admit that I'm almost done with my undergraduate career, so I refuse to call myself a "fourth year" yet. I am from a small town right outside New York City, and being an out-of-state student here is awesome! I am currently a psychology major and economics minor, but I have a ton of other interests that I am pursuing at the University. I am in drama productions, I study voice privately, I'm in a sorority, I spent a summer studying abroad in Italy, I work hard with many philanthropy events, and I am constantly having a ton of fun here! Like a true UVa student, I work hard and party hard! Please ask any and all questions you have for me- I promise to respond as quickly as I can. And after being a student here for the past three years, I know a lot about what it means to be a UVa student. Can't wait to hear from you!

7 comments:

Mira said...

So far, what was your favorite psychology class or experiment?

Cate said...

I absolutely loved my Child Psychopathology course with Robert Emery at UVA, and I'm superpsyched for my Gender Psych course next semester, but I think running a psych experiment last semester was the best part. Because we are a research university, students are given the opportunity to run their own studies, which will be completely funded by the university. I ran a study under a social psychology advisor about racism and biases. I have also done a study through another class on the attribution of blame during a sexual assault case. Really interesting stuff with real results! So that has probably been my favorite work in the psych department here.

Unknown said...

I was wondering about your experience with the drama department, and if there is someone who knows about the grad program for MFA performance? Is there one thing that you love about life in Va? I am graduating with a BA in Acting from Fairbanks ALaska and any iformation about student life for theatre folk would be great! Thanks

cecilia said...

Hi Cate, nice to "meet" you :) I'm currently a senior in high school here in Shoreline, Washington. I don't know if you can answer this, but from an out of state student's perspective, how much slimmer are my chances due to my location?

Cate said...

Hey Jenny-
I really like our drama department here. it's small, which is intimate... everyone knows everyone! That's something that I acutlaly really like about it. Both graduate and undergraduate students work on all aspects of the show and there is little faculty intervention in them. Check out the drama website at http://www.virginia.edu/drama/index.htm (you can even see pictures of me!) for some more information. There are awesome arts activities out in Charlottesville too though: from the Paramount Theatre (i saw the russian ballet perform!), to Ash Lawn Opera (I saw La Boheme there), Live Arts (a performance center) and several other concert and performance venues, Charlottesville and UVA are both very "up and coming". The drama department does 6 mainstage productions a year, our facilities are awesome, well attended, and there are other ways to get involved too. C'ville is a great place to be if you're interested in performing! Hope this helps! My MFA friends love the program and they get the chance to teach lower-level drama classes, which are loads of fun too!

Cate said...

Cecilia,

I would check out the admissions blog posted by Dean J. It may give you a better idea of out of state admissions. Usually, between 27-30% of OOS (out of state) students are accepted, while it's closer to 45% of our instate applicants that are accepted. So while it is a bit tougher, it certainly isn't the only deciding factor. Check out our admissions blog for some more info though! Hope this helps!

Quiksilver6842 said...

hey i noticed you were out of state and i was wondering if you could let me know how important standardized test scores are for admissions, in your eyes. I mean do you feel they played a significant part in your admission. Thanks an email at quiksilver6842@aim.com would be awesome!